College and Career Navigation
What is college and career navigation? College and career navigation helps students and job seekers plan out and achieve their academic and career goals through advice and support from dedicated staff who help people in several ways:
- systematically assessing their interests, strengths, and needs
- advising on academic or job training courses
- assisting with résumé development and interview preparation
- facilitating access to academic and personal supports
- directly placind clients in internships, apprenticeships, or permanent employment
Who provides college and career navigation? Advisers, counselors, coaches, and “navigators” in colleges and other training programs.
Why is college and career navigation important? When deciding on an education or training program, many people don’t know the most effective and efficient means to achieve their goals, and they may need assistance deciding what type of academic program or employment would be a good fit. For example, a young adult with little or no academic or work experience enrolling in community college can benefit from help choosing a major or occupation, planning courses, and accessing financial, academic, and supportive services, such as federal financial aid, tutoring, child care, or transportation assistance.